Thursday, July 31, 2008

Who are Jax and Jewels?

I couldn't come up with a name for my blog. Literally, for weeks I would write down a myriad of names and then Google them to check their availability. I’d play around on blogger and just keep pounding on the “Next Blog” button, which was really a frantic attempt to see what other people were naming their blogs. Basically, I didn’t want to pick some pretentious name or sound like another self-help guru. Finally, I was sitting on my couch, laptop on and my dog plops down next to me. That’s when it hit me. Of course, I should just name my blog after my two lovable Boston Terriers.

So, without further ado here is a brief introduction to my two pups:

Jax is our little boy. He’s a bit big for a Boston, weighing in at 25lbs. Actually, he has numerous days where he weighs more than 25lbs, but most kennels charge more for dogs over 25lbs, so we always say he is 25lbs. I think because of his size some of his features look a bit off for a Boston. Basically, he almost has a nose, which most Bostons don’t have. My husband and I have no intention of showing Jax, so we didn’t have his ears clipped. Jax is left with “Dumbo-like” ears, but they are one of his finer qualities. His ears are ridiculously soft. Think velvet and fancy hotel towels soft. I thoroughly enjoy tickling his ears for hours on end and he doesn't seem to mind one bit.

Jewels is a few months older than Jax. When my husband, who was then only a lowly fiancĂ©e, and I moved in together one of the first things we did was decide to finally get a dog. Our lease had a very strict dog policy, which meant we were limited in our dog selection to small dogs. Honestly, now I view that as a blessing in a disguise. Without the weight limit my husband and I wouldn’t have picked a Boston. Jewels came to our house weighing barely over 5lbs and she has since grown into a deceptive 13lbs. She’s a true Boston in every way. She has the erect ears, the white facial stripe, the underbite, the muscular frame and of course, the attitude. Yes, she’s a total diva and my husband spoils her rotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment