Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cut

Sorry, I know this isn't my standard type of post, but life isn't always puppies and rainbows. I saw this video online earlier today and haven't been able to put it out of my mind since. I'm a lucky, lucky, lucky lady because my hubs is a gentle giant who wouldn't harm a fly (okay, technically that's not true because he does squash bugs for me because I'm scared to death of them). Unfortunately, there are others who aren't as lucky and they find themselves trapped in a vicious cycle of abuse.

Keira Knightley stars in this shocking new short film, directed by Joe Wright (Atonement and Pride and Prejudice) and brought to you by Women's Aid - the UK's domestic abuse charity.

Now, I know some of you are thinking, "but I live in the US?" Well that's true, but domestic violence knows no national boundaries. It also transcends race, religion, gender, economics and every other form of demographic labels.

I don't ask much of anyone, but please just watch this video. It's a tad over two minutes, so it's not like I'm asking you to read Atlas Shrugged. Hopefully, things will change and domestic violence won't be that little, dirty topic that everyone shoves under the proverbial carpet and ignores. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I'd like to think that if we, as a society, talked about these issues more, maybe those educational discussions could help stop the cycle of abuse.

I will warn you, the video is pretty powerful. I flinched the first time I watched it. It's meant to be shocking.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Very powerful and eye-opening. I hope it suceeds in drawing more attention and intervention to this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this and it is very powerful-brought tears to my eyes!-thanks for posting-let's all hope the message gets out!

    ReplyDelete