Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ikea: Almost a rite of passage

I'm 99.9% certain that my parents don't own a single thing from Ikea. I never even stepped foot into an Ikea until I was a junior in college. Knowing those two things, it makes it funnier that now I don't have a single room in my house that isn't chocked full of Ikea goodies. The hubs and I went on somewhat of an Ikea splurge when we first moved in together, but I am looking forward to the day when I don't have to rely on an Allen wrench to put my furniture together (or the day when I don't even have to assemble furniture!). Anyways, without the cheap prices at Ikea I think it's safe to say that our first post-college apartment would have been pretty bare.

With that information in mind, I sent my brother an e-mail last week informing him of some big sale Ikea was holding over the Memorial Day weekend. He doesn't graduate from college for another week, but I know he's moving once he graduates. At first he was like, "nah, I don't need furniture yet because I haven't really seen what my roommate is bringing to the apartment." Okay, that sounds reasonable enough, but then he saw that the Expedit bookcase was on sale for $50. He wanted the bookcase and so did I.

Saturday afternoon, the three of us made a trip over to Ikea and hoped to pick up a bookcase. My brother was amazed with the cheap prices and kept commenting, "okay, once I move in I am definitely coming back here. $13 for a side table!"

I did notice quite a few early twenties looking individuals perusing the various aisles at Ikea on Saturday. I'll go out on a limb and say that quite a few of them just graduated from college and are thinking they need furniture for their apartments, but Pottery Barn just isn't in their budget. Trust me, I've been there. Plus, you can find a ton of smaller furniture pieces at Ikea, which is perfect for those small apartments.

The hubs was the sour puss of the group and I wasn't able to persuade him that we did indeed need a bookcase. So, we left empty handed. Grrrr! He did however eye up a new coffee table. One of the first things we bought at Ikea was a plain brown coffee table and I'm not longer a fan of it's traditional look. So when the hubs said that he liked the modern black coffee table I was ecstatic. Hopefully, that means we can start buying more modern pieces and start ditching our old traditional looking furniture. Sweet!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have never stepped foot in an Ikea to my sadness. We should be getting one in the next year here in CO though, can't wait.
    I used to think of it as college-y but then friends of ours did a fab kitchen reno w/ all Ikea cabinetry and such. Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been in Ikea either darn it! Just like Freckles said, we're supposed to be getting one next year in CO. YEAH! I will definitely be checking it out then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freckles- I used to think the same thing about Ikea, but now I've changed my mind. Plus, I love their accessories.

    ReplyDelete