Friday, May 25, 2012

The pink elephant in the room

Confession: I hate the color pink.  When I was a kid I felt like it was shoved down the throats of all little girls.  "Want to be girly and feminine?" Then you need to wear pink and lots of it!

It also didn't help things that my older sister freaking loves pink.  So I guess in order to distance myself from her as much as humanly possible I avoided pink like it was the black plague.

If I want to be girly and feminine I'm going to do it with sparkles, ruffles, and purple!

Which is why it was completely odd that I wore this to work the other day. Meaghan told me to "throw my a hand on hip or something!"  Fashion blogger I am not!

(I swear to goodness this dress was pressed at the start of the day!)

Cardigan: J. Crew Jackie
Dress: J. Crew (purchased in 2006)
Belt - Target
Necklace: Bauble Bar (click here for an invite)



Necklace was scored during Bauble Bar's weekly $10 Friday Bauble Find!  It's Friday, so sign up now for an account and get the clue for what today's bauble will be! 


I have a love/hate relationship with this dress. It's the only piece of pink clothing I've ever purchased for myself.  The hatred stems from that it is pink! However, it was purchased with nothing but love.  My best friend had a destination wedding in 2006 and asked me if I wouldn't mind wearing a pink dress for her beach ceremony.  Since I was the Maid of Honor and the ONLY bridal party participant that meant I got to pick whatever pink dress I wanted.  Of course I went to my favorite store, J. Crew, and picked up a gorgeous dress. 

However, since I bought this dress I've worn it three times. Once for my best friend's wedding, once at my sister's bridal shower (threw the pink loving girl a bone that day), and then this week for work.  I think I need to give this dress to someone who will enjoy it a bit more frequently than me because it's a gorgeous dress.  I do own a closet full of J.Crew dresses, so it's not like I'm not a fan of their stuff.  It's just the pink part I need to get over. 

I do have to say, it was a funny experience at the metro station on my way to work.  A wall of black suits was coming at me and I busted through them in my little pink dress. It was somewhat comically.  I know the trendy thing would have been to wear some orange with this dress, but let's take baby steps here people! One thing at a time! 


1 comment:

  1. You look great in pink :) And yes, purple, all the way! xoxo

    ReplyDelete