Thursday, September 13, 2012

Parks Half Marathon: 2012 Edition

After a muddy fall during last year's Parks Half Marathon I was hoping the weather would be better for this year's race.  The majority of the race course is on paved trails and there are a few low spots that are prime for standing water.  When I drove to my bestie's house on Saturday I got stuck in my car due to a torrential downpour! Awesome. 


However, the weather was absolutely perfect come race morning.  I actually flirted with wearing capris pants it was so cool, but in the end I decided to stick with shorts.  There quite a few small branches, wet leaves, and a few large puddles on the trail, but overall it was in good shape. I'm not going to lie I slowed up when I came to the place where I got pushed last year and made sure there was no one around me when I bounced around the standing water. 

(Okay, I'm definitely overdue for a haircut!)

I started the race off strong, but unfortunately I fell victim to my tummy again.  It's completely my fault.  I ate like crap the day before the race and I should know better.  On a plus note, I was reminded once again why you are what you eat and eating poorly in the days leading up to a race is just going to result in lost time on the course.  I could never make up the four minutes I lost having to stop due to my issues.  


Bee, on the other hand, killed it once again. New half marathon PR in the books for her.  


Looks like Bee's boyfriend is going to give the "Ridiculously Photogenic Guy" a run for his money (pun intended).  This guy ran a 12 mile Tough Mudder on Saturday and decided to break in his new tri-suit for an upcoming half ironman during Sunday's half marathon.  On top of that he has the nerve to look quasi-happy and even smiles for the camera.  All while running 7 minute miles.  Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!?!  The nerve of that guy. 


All was not lost though.  I got to hang out with Bee's running group at not one, but two bars, post race and it was an amazing time.  I think my face hurt more than my legs on Sunday night... from laughing so much!


Before I go and get down on myself for having a slow race time and get frustrated I'm going to think positively.  I'm never going to be the fastest runner.  I know it and I'm okay with it.  I run for fun and I needed to laugh my ass off on Sunday to get back to that fun place.

I run for fun and I run for me.  But every once in a while I get inspired by people who have probably been told more than once that they can't run.  And when I hear that I promptly say, "screw that."  Oscar Pistorius qualified for the Olympics and he's had double leg amputations.


And this guy above. Well he inspires me.  If he can do it, then I can do it.  There isn't an excuse I can make up that's bigger than anything he could throw at me.  

All race photos are from the lovely Montgomery County Road Runners Photos .  Thanks for having a site where runners can download their pictures for free!  Best.race.idea.ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment