Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Real world vs Pinterest: Holiday Party Attire Edition

It's a December tradition in my life the past four years. "What the heck am I going to wear to my office's holiday party?"  The office gang, although still a blonde down, was back together again this year down in DC, but for some strange reason I wasn't in love with the idea of buying a new dress to wear.  Yeah, the hubs was shocked as well. 

I couldn't figure out what to wear so I did what anyone would do when they just didn't feel like buying something new for a specific engagement - I shopped my closet, sent pictures of available pieces to a friend, and said, "tell me what to wear."  I'm so lucky to have Meaghan, from District Sparkle, in my life.  

I'm always a little tentative when it comes to combining colors, but imagine my surprise when Meaghan sent me this picture she pinned months ago:


My first thought, "woah, that's my proposed outfit, just upside down."

Second thought, "I'm definitely wearing a bra with my blouse!" 

Thank you Meaghan for picking out my outfit! And for letting me crash at your apartment. Left to my own devices I probably have worn a striped shirt combination... again. 



Blouse:  J. Crew // Necklace: South Moon Under  // Skirt: J. Crew // Clutch: Rebecca Minkoff // Bracelets:  iSanctuary, Vintage // Shoes: Nine West (via Marshall's) 


Sidebar: I've posted numerous times before about my love of a certain studded black purse, but I haven't shared the other amazing Rebecca Minkoff bag in my closet until now.  I won that amazing clutch, with the cutest gold chain, from Rebecca Minkoff way back in October.  Honestly, I don't even know how it happened. All of the sudden there was a picture on Instagram basically saying that the first person to get that clutch in their online basket had it for free.  Then, there was a tweet sent out saying I won. It was the most fashionable version of "right place, right time, and damn lucky." 


I don't know how much the items would have cost from Oscar, but I can tell you that I scored both the blouse and skirt at J. Crew on Black Friday for less than $60 combined.  The skirt was on mega clearance for $25 and even though I didn't necessarily need to add another wool pencil skirt to my closet, I wasn't about to leave it on the rack for that price! 

So there you have it: I not only embraced color with one outfit, but I didn't have to buy a new dress.  Instead, I have two classic, colorful, pieces to keep in my closet to wear time and time again.

What do you think: yay or nay on ditching the dress decision for a work holiday party?  What is everyone else wearing for their big holiday party? 

J. Crew Factory is offering an additional 40% off all prices today, plus free shipping on all orders over $50! Use code: HOLIDAY when checking out.  

3 comments:

  1. I think you and M came up with the perfect outfit for a holiday party! I LOVE it!!!! And that purse - amazeballs.

    Alissa
    FeelingGoodFashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete